Be Inspired Issue #5: BARBARA ONUOHA


Today on be inspired interview we are featuring Barbara Onuoha a self proclaimed style blogger.
Let’s get to know more about Barbara
Q: Hi Barbara, could you start by telling us a bit about yourself?
Ans: I am a 20 someting Nigerian-American self proclaimed life through style blogger. Meaning that I portray what I am feeling and going through, through my style and social media posts I grew up playing basketball and being obsessed with the Olsen twins (not quite sure how that is connected). When I was growing up I always felt invisible and like I didn’t have a place to belong. I focused a lot on trying to fit in, and ultimately that caused me to blend in and disappear. I have a crazy personality that I don’t let to many people see lol, and shoes are my vice, as well as chicken wings lol.
Q: Can you tell us about your blog, and what inspired you to start it?
Ans: I started my blog because I fell into a depressive state when I graduated from college. Coming from a Nigerian home you are constantly told WHAT you will do and WHO you will become. I was being told that I was going to be a pharmacist and that just didn’t sit right with me. I have always been creative growing up, but I did not know that I could turn my creativity into a career. I was wrapped up in thinking that I was my parents opinions of me. I was crying every night because I didn’t know what I was going to to with my life. I was constantly researching different careers so that I could have something that would impress my parents and make me feel decent about my life. I stumbled on different careers in fashion, but you needed a degree for all of them and I wasn’t ready to go back to school. I decided to create my blog as a bit of a resume so that I could apply for jobs in fashion, and now I have just fallen in love with it.
Q: How do you describe your own personal style?
Ans: I would describe my personal style as many things. It is inspired. It is inspired by others,by my mood, and my emotions. My personal style is my best version of myself. It is how I want the world to see me. I don’t catergorize my personal style as your typical “edgy, bohemian, or girly” because it is so much more for me than that. My style is my diary. It is the most vulnerable part of myself, and my most imaginative.
Q: Where do you tend to buy your clothes?
Ans: If I am being honest I will buy my clothes from just about anywhere if I feel like it serves its purpose. Im talking Target, Zara, and especially my favorite place, the thrift store. When I was in college I was broke so going to the thrift store insured me that I had the chance to get tons of stylish pieces for a steal. I don’t thrift as much as I used to, but it will always have a a soft place in my heart.
Q: What do you spurge on? (spend a lot of money on)
Ans: In terms of splurging, I am a very frugal person. I always want to get a bang for my buck, but I do have a vice and if the price is right I will indulge. I am talking about shoes. I love shoes. They are truly my best fiends lol. Growing up, my mom didn’t let me have all the shoes that I wanted, but now that I have the say so there is nothing that can stop me, and I have no shame lol.
Q: Where do you find the inspiration for your blog posts?
Ans: My blog post are usually based around me connecting how I feel to what I am wearing, so my emotions are the inspiration behind my blog posts.
Q: Who is your fashion inspiration and why?
Ans: My current fashion inspirations are Aimee Song from Song of Style. There is something about the way she pairs her pieces that I just cannot get enough of. I love the way she mixes denim with flirty silhouettes. I also cannot stop crushing over Solange Knowles. Her style just screams 80s to me and I love it. Lastly, I love Asiyami Gold, but not so much for style but for her ability to really capture a moment that can inspire style. I love all of these women.
Q: Best brands you have worked with so far?
Ans: So far I really have loved working will the brands I have had the opportunity to work with. I find it strange that anyone would even want to work with me. Growing up, and coming where I come from, especially with my cultural background, doing what I am doing never seemed possible. So any brand that I work with has a special place in heart because it shows that they see something in me that for a while I didn’t even see in myself.
Q: If you had the chance to travel anywhere in the world where would it be?
Ans: Right now I really want to go back to Nigeria. I have not had the luxury of really exploring the land of my mother and father. Being born and raised in the United States, and my parents always working growing up, me and my siblings didn’t get to visit as much as we would have liked. Aside from Nigeria, going to Paris, South Africa, and Italy would be a dream.
Q: What camera do you use to capture your amazing photos?
Ans: For my photos I use a combination of my Canon 70D and my iPhone 7 plus camera. I find that have a nice camera is great, but the magic really takes place in the post editing process.
Q: heels or flat?
Ans: When it comes to heels or flats I am more of a boots girl. I can wear boots year round and I don’t care about the stares lol.
Q: You have some great photos on your instagram, how do you decide what type of photos to take and what’s your most favourite shooting location?
Ans: When it comes to shooting there is a lot of planning that goes into. First I like to think about how I have been feeling lately. That usually directs me to what I want to wear, and I always make sure I try things on because things can always look not how you expected it to. If I am feeling stumped or don’t have an idea of how I want to style something I will go to google or trusty Instagram to get some insp.. As far as location, I like the look of city settings. They are realistic, and you don’t have to be to posey to capture a great  moment.
Q: How did you build followers to your blog and social media channels? for example, was it a slow trickle, taking months/years or did you attract a lot of followers straight away?
Ans: As far as building a following I am still trying to crack that code. For me it has been a slow trickle of trying to catch people’s attention. When I feel stagnant I try to look at the things that I feel like can be changed. For example, editing differently or styling my pieces in a cooler way. I have even changed my settings. You just have to figure out what works for you, and when it starts working build off that momentum.
Q: What’s the key to keeping them interested and coming back for more?
Ans: The key to keeping your audience interested is being your true self consistently. The key is really in the consistence of your work. Think of your supporters as you all being in a relationship. When you are in a relationship there are certain things you require your partner to do to keep things fresh and keep you interested. If they don’t you may decide that that particular relationship is not for you, and find a situation that meets your needs elsewhere. That is what you platform is. If you don’t consistently post clean content then why should anyone feel the need to come back when they can find someone else who will post more frequently? I remind myself of this often.
Q: How do you divide your day so that you can fit in work,blogging,having a family life and a social life?
Ans: Again, this is where planning plays a heavy role. I like to stockpile my photos. Meaning, I like to shoot multiple looks in a day so that I know I will always have content. Then I write in my planner when things need to be edited and posted. If you want something bad enough you will find a way to get it done.
Q: Where there days you had difficulties/challenges? how do you overcome them?
Ans: I am human so I struggle daily. I actually think about quitting often, and I always question what it is that I am doing. To overcome I turn to God. I know that he has my back at all times even when I am too hard headed to admit it. When I am feeling stressed, frustrated, or even inadequate I  like to back away from what is consuming my attention and focus on God. I also like to focus on what is causing me to feel a certain way. The best thing about having down moments in life is that it gives you an opportunity to reevaluate. I look at these moments as moments of revaluation.
Q: What advice will you give any upcoming fashion bloggers out there?
Ans: The advice that I would give is to figure out why you are starting and stay consistent. Don’t let getting paid and receiving free items be the reason, because it takes time for that to even come. There as to be something that is really driving you to do this, so that when you are broke and frustrated you will always have a reason to continue. Use this as an opportunity to have a platform and help others.
Want to work or collaborate with Barbara?
Instagram @beautyinastranger
Email beautyinastranger@gmail.com

Share This Article:

CONVERSATION

0 comments :

Post a Comment